Amor et Gratitudo: Letter on the New Mission of the Fr. Regent (14 Feb 2021)

March 04, 2021
AMOR ET GRATITUDO
Letter to the UST College of Science
On the New Mission of the Fr. Regent

14 February 2021


Dearly Beloved Dean Emeritus Carmen G. Kanapi, PhD; Dean Fortunato B. Sevilla III, PhD, Academician and Professor Emeritus; Dean Maribel G. Nonato, PhD, UST Vice Rector for Research and Innovation; Dean John Donnie A. Ramos, PhD; Dean Rey Donne S. Papa, PhD, our incumbent Dean; Prof. Ma. Claudette M. Álvarez-Agnes, PhD, Assistant Dean; Prof. Cecilia A. Banag-Morán, PhD, College Secretary; members of the Faculty Council and Executive Committee; Department Chairs; officials of the Faculty Association of the College of Science; Faculty Members of the UST College of Science; Guidance Counselors, Alumni, Benefactors, Students and their Parents, Support Staff, Maintenance and Security Staff; Friends of the UST College of Science; Brothers and Sisters: 

LOVE AND GRATITUDE have been lingering in my heart ever since I first stepped into the portals of the UST College of Science. My first-ever contact with the College was with the Faculty, on July 28, 2016, when I was invited to facilitate their Recollection. I did not expect that after two years, I will be appointed as your Regent. On February 14, 2018, I visited the Dean's Office for the first time for a casual orientation, while awaiting the Rector's Office to release my appointment paper. I was warmly welcomed by everyone, especially Prof. John Donnie A. Ramos, PhD, the Dean during that time. Two days later, I received the letter dated February 11, 2018, appointing me Regent of the UST College of Science for a term of four years. I was blessed to witness the grace-filled transition of office between Dean Ramos and the present Dean, Prof. Rey Donne S. Papa, PhD, whose leadership is also remarkable especially in this time of the pandemic. And the rest, as they say, is history.

On January 19, 2021, while engaged in a meeting of our Faculty Council, the newly-elected Prior Provincial of the Dominican Province of the Philippines, Very Rev. Fr. Filemón I. de la Cruz, Jr., OP, called me and presented his request for yours truly to be the head of the Provincial Secretariat and, concurrently, the Provincial Promoter of Evangelization through Social Communications. Such appointments necessarily entail transferring from UST to our Provicialate in Bahay Dominiko, Quezon City. Relatively short have been our journey together, but it is now time for me to conclude my ministry as your Regent. Even the Prior Provincial knows that it would be difficult to say goodbye. However, as Dominicans, we are to obediently heed the call of God to serve wherever we are most needed.  

I am blessed to have walked with two great Deans of the College, Dean Ramos and Dean Papa. In such a short period of time, I have witnessed how the College rose, and continue to rise, above many challenges, in many occasions. From the beginning of my term as your Regent, I’ve been aware that my main role in the College is beyond what are formally stipulated in the University’s Statutes. My foremost duty to God, as your Regent, is to be present, to be there, and accompany you in your journey. It was my joy to witness how our students progress in their academic life; how the administrators, faculty and the guidance counselors painstakingly undertake preparations to deliver only the best service possible; and how our support staff indefatigably perform their duties amidst the many challenges in their personal lives. Indeed, I have been blessed to be a part of your life.   

Truth be told, I still have many projects in the pipeline, especially that the Church is celebrating the 500 years of the dawn of Christianity in our country. I know that I have an ‘unfinished business’ here, but a great Dominican once made me realize how we need “to celebrate our endings”—not to mourn it but to celebrate it. One could only celebrate when there is love and gratitude. Come to think of it: the friendships we have developed would linger beyond our roles in the College. My presence could only be transformed into another role, for the College of Science is forever etched in my heart.

I will not anymore execute my administrative functions in the College because of the shifting of priorities. Nevertheless, with the approval of the higher-ups, I will still be celebrating the Eucharist with you, in our scheduled monthly Masses, until the end of the academic year or until a new Regent is appointed. Likewise, I will still continue the social media endeavors of the Office of the Regent until the new Regent takes over. My dearest friends, mga anak, feel free to communicate with me and, in whatever way I could be of help, kindly let me know.

This is not ‘goodbye’ but ‘see you soon,’ or even better—‘see you around’ and ‘see you online’. We shall have our online Ash Wednesday Mass at 2:00 pm on February 17, 2021. After the mass, I will already transfer to the Provincialate. Let us pray for one another as we face our missions in life. 

As one of my last acts as your Spiritual Father, allow me to remind you of this special lesson from Saint Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians: “Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. […] And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 

Offices, appointments, and powers shall come and go. No matter how we think we can influence these, no matter how highly we may regard ourselves, I want you to remember that all things lay at the feet of Jesus Christ. At times, His plans will be difficult to understand and to undertake, but ultimately, we shall strive to imitate the great Lady of the Holy Rosary, His Mother, who chose not to forcibly inject her own projects in the Divine plan, but simply surrendered herself to the complete disposal of God.  That is her supreme greatness, from which there is so much to learn. I want you to keep her in your hearts. 

“Since God has first loved us (cf. 1 Jn 4:10), love is now no longer a mere 'command'; it is the response to the gift of love with which God draws near to us.”  There will be changes from now on, but love and gratitude shall remain for all time. I believe, this is the essence of Valentine’s Day. The love that we receive is the love that we share. 

May the blessing of our Triune God, in Whose Name and for Whose honor the College of Science fulfills its mission daily, be with you always. May you receive it in full, along with my friendship and affection for all of you.

In Sanctis Thoma et Alberto Magno,

Rev. Fr. Louie R. Coronel, OP
Regent, UST College of Science


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.