The Dedication of Maam Giovanna Fontanilla (1958-2020): A Eulogy by Rev. Fr. Louie Coronel, OP

December 08, 2020
THE DEDICATION OF MAAM GIOVANNA FONTANILLA (1958-2020) 
A Eulogy by Rev. Fr. Louie Coronel, OP 


Mere words and gestures are not enough to express our gratitude to Assoc. Prof. Giovanna Villarama-Fontanilla, PhD,. APR for her unwavering dedication until the end. I have many stories to tell about her but let me share a very vivid testimony of her dedication. The visit of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn of the Kingdom of Thailand to the University of Santo Tomás (UST) was held on June 4, 2019. As expected, the Office of Public Affairs headed by Maam Giovanna was very engaged in that event. However, the royal visit was held on the same date and time as the Graduation Rites of the UST College of Science. Coincidentally, it was also the graduation of the son of Maam Giovanna, who finished a degree in BS Psychology. I was already in the line, about to march as the Regent of the College of Science, when Ma'am Giovanna discreetly approached me asking for a very special favor. She told me: “Father, I approached you as a friend. May I kindly request that in the event that my son is called on stage and I am not yet here, because there is another event in the other building, please, father, kindly accompany my son in his graduation march.” My heart melted with such manifestation of maternal love and dedication to her alma mater, UST, as I replied affirmatively. When her son was about to be called, she was not able to make it; and therefore, I fulfilled her kind request. May Ma'am Giovanna’s selfless dedication inspire us to remain faithful in this challenging time. 


Maam Giovanna, we miss your energy, your laughter, your indefatigability, your dedication. Whenever I visit you in your office, you have always accommodated me. Thank you for sharing your joys and pains, your doubts and your faith experiences. Lagi po ninyong sinasabi sa akin na napakalaki ng utang na loob ninyo at pasasalamat sa mga Dominican fathers. Ngayon naman po, hayaan po ninyong magpasalamat kami sa inyong paglilingkod sa UST at sa simbahan ng buong puso. Malaki pong kawalan ang inyong paglisan subalit harinawa ang inyong iniwan ay aming maipagpatuloy nang may pananampalataya tulad ng inyong ipinamalas hanggang sa huli. 

Salamat, Maam Giovanna! 

Paalam, Maam Giovanna!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.